Sunday, May 18, 2008

"Crime Web2.0": Untraceable

As I told you, this week my posts are going to be a little tragic. But unlike my previous post this one is not real, for I want to discuss a movie I watched last week...
Untraceable is movie that talks about a website called "KillWithMe" that was created by a serial-cyber killer, who uses it to kill his victims live on a webcam and everybody gets to watch... The movie is called untraceable since the murderer could change his website's IP address constantly, and as you can read (the image to the left) the more the viewers numbers increase the faster the victim dies. The reason I wanted to tell you guys about this movie is because: First, it shows how Web2.0 could be used in the most terrible ways and second, the movie made me realize how much this Web has affected media. The movie also discusses something we learned in Mass Communication (my major today) which is that people sometimes find pleasure in seeing other individuals' suffering and pain. That's a terrible thing and I know you are thinking: "Oh my God, of course not!!" but yes we all do... Even the movie shows how the number of viewers started decreasing when the criminal was being caught...

I guess all we can do is hope that no one would use Web 2.o for evil, like Lori Drew (previous post) or the cyber killer in "Untraceable" did...

Jana:(

No comments: